Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Process as important as the result - The race for the WTO

For those of us who are following the selection of the next chief of the WTO, the process itself is fascinating. An open contest between 9 candidates from the member countries with a majority of them from the developing world. Out of the 9, 4 have been eliminated from the race and five remain in the fray. Apart from the rhetoric, agenda and forces at play for the selection of the next WTO DG, I found the process adopted and the stress on transparency of the process appealing. Does it happen in case of all multilateral international institutions?

Just to those interested in following the process so far, the statement of the Chairman of the General Council of the WTO is found here. It details out the process out so far and the emphasis that it is a "member-driven" process indicating the will of the members of the organisation.
"We are gratified by the 100 per cent participation of the membership in the first round, and the overall respect for and adherence to the Procedures shown. We look forward to the same high level of engagement in this next round. Let me reiterate that this process is your process: the decision to appoint the new Director-General is yours to make. 
Before I end my statement, I would like to say a few words with regard to the four candidates who are not listed on the slate for the next round of consultations. On behalf of the entire membership, I would like to express gratitude for their participation in this selection process. As I said earlier, they are all highly qualified and respected individuals. I would also like to pay tribute to the fair and dignified manner in which they, their delegations, and their Governments have conducted themselves in this process."
Let Round 2 begin. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For lateѕt news you have to pау
a νisit the wеb and on world-wіde-wеb I fοund thіs site
aѕ a moѕt еxсellent website for newest updates.



Also visit mу webpagе :: augenoperation

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your blog and find the

majority of your post's to be what precisely I'm

looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content
for yourself? I wouldn't mind composing

a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write

concerning here. Again, awesome site!

Feel free to surf to my homepage ... Www.phpday.vn

Anonymous said...

Unquestionably belіеve thаt that you stаted.
Your favouгite reasоn seemed to be at the net the
easiest thing to be mindful of. I ѕay to you, I definitely
get iгked even as other pеοple think аbout worries that they just do not unԁerstand аbout.
You cοntrollеԁ to hit the nail uрon
the hіgheѕt аnd alѕo defіned
out the entire thіng wіthοut hаving ѕide
effeсt , people can takе a ѕіgnal.
Will likely be back to get more. Thanκs

Αlso viѕit my site microsoft points